The Eagle Bicycle Mfg. Co. of Torrington Connecticut were successors to the Eagle Mfg. Co. of Stamford Connecticut. The Stamford Co. was the maker of the Eagle high wheel safety bicycle that was introduced in 1889. The Eagle high wheel featured the large wheel to the rear with small to the front. Always a company of innovation they introduced the "Quad Stay" design to their racing safeties in 1899. By doubling the chain stay configuration the Eagle Quad claimed a stiffer rear triangle delivering more power to the drive train. This design appealed to H.N. Pratt of Skowhegan Maine who turned professional in 1900. This "Quad Stay" belonged to Pratt.