Cycling Clubs of the late 1870's and into the1880's were established on a somewhat militaristic fashion employing the moving formation of mounted horse calvary. There was a Captain, Lieutenant, and usually a Bugler. Each club had it's own uniform and colors. This formality lent a degree of legitimacy to the appearance of cycling clubs appearing on the roads in the early 1880's Often cyclists were met with hostility from pedestrians and teamsters who felt they didn't belong on public roads.
The job of the Bugler was to announce such calls as boots & saddles (mount up), slacken pace, dangerous hill, dismount, attend to cycles, assemble, etc. much like mounted Calvary .
This bugle was a presentation piece presented to the Hartlepool Liberal Cycling Club, Hartlepool England in 1892. The presentation inscription reads as follows:
Presented by T.S. Arrowsmith, Mac Orville Inn Elswick, (to) The Hartlepool Liberal Cycling Club, Largest Muster at the Feast, August 8th 1892.
Pictured below is the McOrville Inn today. It was named after a famous 19th century race horse that was stabled nearby.
The Greatham Feast has been held annually for the past 550 years in Elwick. This bugle was awarded in 1892 to the cycling club with the greatest number of attendees.
The Mac Orville Inn Today