Velocipede - N. Rocquemont Ave. Grand Army Paris 1870 This velocipede is considered a transitional machine and illustrates the evolution from the velocipede to the high wheel bicycle. It was built in Paris circa 1870 by one of France’s premiere carriage and velocipede makers. It sports some of the latest design elements of the time such as a rear mounting step and a 40" driving wheel. A larger front wheel allowed for greater speed. This machine is an obvious predecessor to the high wheel bicycle, a design that dominated the landscape over the next decade and a half.