From the beginning,1868/69, the velocipede, as a user of the King's Highways and byways, required a good lamp for use at night. This cycle lamp is a survivor from the earliest days circa 1878. It is most likely English and possibly made by Thomas Smith of Birmingham. The lamp has two spring loaded tubes that offer suspension to prevent the lamp going out if jarred while riding. Pictured below is a cyclist mounted upon an early Coventry Machinist Company "Spider". Note the lamp mounted just forward of the head, by the handlebar and above the front wheel. The photo is courtesy of Lorne Shields.